Friday, July 23, 2010

Praying for rain

Each day I pray for rain....on one hand, it makes the air feel cool through the fans that we constantly have pointing at us, and on the other hand, it keeps men out of the bars.
On Thursday when we went into the pool bars as usual, we left one bar to go to another, with a stop at 7-11 for some snacks to enjoy with the girls. While inside, we noticed that within moments the sky grew rather dark and the streets began to empty. People ran inside the 7-11 as the wind was reaching great strengths. As we ventured outside, we noticed plants that were knocked over and people finding their way inside...some intense rain was coming our way. We made it to the next bar, found our girls, and sat down with them....it began to pour!

Since this particular bar is all open in the front, they had to bring down these garage-like doors to keep the rain out. We continued on with our girls talking, painting nails, and most of all, enjoying the peace. There were a couple men in there playing pool, but other than that, no others would come in at that time. The girls inside were completely undistracted. It felt like a breath of fresh air. No one would approach them (even though some of these girls just make funny faces at us when the men do say things to them). Regardless of who does or does not entertain them, we could just enjoy uninterrupted time with them.
After some time passed and the heavy rain was turning into a light rain, the doors were opened, and it just so happened to be time for us to return to Beginnings for dinner. Two men who had been at the restaurant across the way finally ran over and some of the girls cheered...it was back...reality.

Every time I leave those bars I feel the most conflicting emotions. I know that they know we love them...we tell them and I pray that we are showing them...they know that purpose...we are trying to show them in whatever way we can. How can we not extend His love? They are precious, they are our friends. I leave with joy from these friendships and from being given the blessing of being able to show love.
However, I also feel a sense of defeat because they are still there...working in the bars, facing each night as unknown. Will they be burdened tonight or will they get to go home to rest?

My heart is uplifted and broken at the same time.

His promises then sweetly overwhelm me.
"Trust in the Lord with ALL your heart and lean not on your own understanding, in ALL your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths." (Prov. 3:5-6)

That night I wrote, "Lord, I trust you with my whole heart! I am not dependent on my own understanding, but Yours! I acknowledge You in every way, but when I fall short, help me! Please direct my paths! Lord, lead me. This mission is Yours. These girls are Yours! I am wholly Yours so use me! Let me not be discouraged...I am a messenger...You are the one who causes these seeds we plant to grow. Let us do as You desire, it is all Yours...they are Yours. My Majesty, my King, overwhelm them with You! Please."

Please pray. Though Lyndsey and I only have a few more days here, Megan has months to come. And these girls may have years to come of this....pray that they find the WAY! Pray that these seeds would grow. Pray that we are used by the Lord. Pray that their hearts are receptive. Pray that God uses you as well in your own mission field that is your daily life.

No comments:

Post a Comment